Supervises and works with a small group of journeymen, craftsmen, and/or workers at a lower skill level and/or laborers. Makes work assignments, enforces safety regulations, maintains discipline, orders supplies and equipment and reviews work of the crew assigned to them, during progress and upon completion for compliance with instructions and conformance to accepted trade practices. Ensures crew equipment is maintained and in safe, working order. Gives clear and concise instruction to staff. Instructs staff on proper tree maintenance and care as necessary. Completes any necessary work-related reports, including electronic reports. Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance, repair and care of trees and shrubbery. Climbs trees and performs maintenance work such as preventing or repairing limb or trunk fractures by cabling or placing tree rods as needed. Performs trimming, shaping and cutting of trees and shrubbery. Removes dead, dying, or hazardous trees and removes or grinds stumps. Operates power saws and other miscellaneous tools and equipment in a proper and safe manner. Uses a variety of tools necessary to perform tree care and maintenance, including bucket trucks and similar tree service aerial devices. Cleans up debris after tree work completed. Operates any piece of motor driven equipment including sweepers, trucks, snow fighters, front end loaders, and backhoes, and other heavy motor equipment in a proper and safe manner in order to perform all assigned work. Loads and unloads trucks; picks up and hauls material, plows and sands highways; greases, oils and cleans equipment and performs minor maintenance; performs unskilled labor duties of which the following are typical examples: digging holes, trenches, and other excavations; shoveling materials and leveling areas; loading and unloading materials; emptying barrels and cleaning litter and debris from streets, runways, parking lots; mowing grass, trimming shrubs/small trees using hand or powered equipment; removing snow/ice using manual or small powered equipment; spreading sand on icy areas; using small hand tools, i.e. shovels, picks, axes, saws, heavy wrenches and small power tools. Performs all other duties that may be assigned.
- An Associate degree in arboriculture or related field and at least two years’ experience climbing trees. (Applicants with a high school diploma/GED and minimum of four years’ experience working in the tree care industry will be considered.) Experience as a ground person does not count toward the required years of experience in the tree care industry.
- ISA Certified Tree Worker Aerial Lift Specialist preferred. Required within one year of employment.
- Current training in aerial rescue, CPR, and first aid preferred.
- Ability to receive and interpret written and oral instructions and to give written and oral reports to supervisors.
- Ability to prune, brace, cut and fell trees consistent with ANSI Z133 standards.
- Ability to identify trees by species, identify hazard defects of trees, and ensure public safety.
- Ability to inspect for pests and diseases such as Emerald Ash Borer and Asian Long-Horned Beetle.
- Must have ability to use tools of trade in workmanlike manner.
- Must be in good health, dependable, and able to do hard physical work. Position requires ability to work extended hours and respond to emergency situations.
- Must possess current valid Massachusetts Class B CDL; Hoisting 2B license required within 120 days.
- Must have safe driving record.
Salary: $1,397.87 weekly, plus benefits
Union: SMEA B
Date Posted: June 22nd, 2023
For more details and to apply, visit: