Aug. 24, 2022
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University seeks highly motivated landscaping professional for the role of Gardener I (Landscape Operations). The successful candidate will join the Arboretum’s Horticulture Department in the stewardship of North America’s oldest public arboretum.
The Gardener I will work as a member of the Department’s landscape operations team. Primary responsibilities include mowing, string trimming, and related turf and equipment maintenance; assisting with irrigation system design, installation, and maintenance; litter management; snow removal; and other landscape operation and construction tasks as needed. Secondary responsibilities include meadow management and trail installation and upkeep.
This position may be responsible for overseeing the work of seasonal employees as needed. In addition, they may support the Arboretum’s internship training programs through the development and instruction of hands-on training and mentorship. The successful candidate is expected to engage fully in the professional activities of the Arboretum and work collaboratively with colleagues on interdepartmental efforts. The Arboretum seeks to build a dynamic and diverse horticulture team and encourages all interested candidates meeting the basic qualifications to apply.
Hourly Wage: $24.44. Full-time, Permanent, Benefits Eligible Position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Mowing, string trimming, and leaf clean-up
- Weeding, mulching, and brush chipping
- Litter management
- Maintain, repair and operation of various equipment and hand-tools
- Snow operations
Assists with as needed:
- Irrigation and drainage systems
- Pruning and transplanting
- Maintenance of grounds structures (e.g., benches, trash cans and signage)
- Soil management
- Graffiti removal
May oversee the work of term appointments and interns as assigned
Other related job duties as assigned
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
A minimum of one (1) year experience in the field of horticulture or a related field. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and D.O.T. Medical Examiner’s Certificate, which will be paid by the Arboretum as part of the pre-employment process. Must be able to perform manual labor, including frequent lifting/carrying/transporting loads up to 50 lbs. Required to work in all weather conditions in all seasons and essential staff for weather-related emergencies impacting the grounds.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Previous experience with irrigation systems preferred. Maintain appropriate computerized records for equipment and grounds maintenance; order parts and supplies for grounds and equipment that have been approved by the Manager or Assistant Manager.
- Possess and maintain (within six months of employment and at the Arboretum's expense) a hoisting license of the proper classification as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator’s License.
To learn more about the position and how to apply see:
Rachel Brinkman, MCA